Daniel Fast Recipes | Steamed Brown Rice and Bean Curry
4 cups cooked brown rice 1/4 cup dry lentils 1/4 cup raisins 1/2 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounce) 1/2 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounce) 1/2 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (8 ounce) 1/2 large white onion, chopped 1.5 tablespoons curry powder (make sure they are natural vegetable ingredients)1 tablespoons olive oil 1 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 pinch cayenne pepper Pepper and salt for flavoring
"Steamed Brown Rice"
Instead of white rice, noodles and bread, brown rice will become a staple carbohydrate for most people undergoing the Daniel Fast.
Brown Rice comes in many varieties and you can buy them for a lower price at health food stores than at regular hyper-marts.
It is also believed that brown rice helps to control blood pressure and also reduces wide fluctuations in blood sugar. The high fiber content of brown rice has a good effect on controlling cholesterol and cholesterol control is the key to keeping away heart disease.
Brown rice and white rice follow the same basic process for cooking.
1. Soak for 25 to 30 minutes in water. The soaking process of brown rice helps to soften the bran layer on the rice seed and makes the rice easily edible.
2. Add water to rice when cooking at a ratio of 1:2(one cup of brown rice: two cups of water). Brown rice once cooked, retains a texture that is firmer than white rice and this is what gives brown rice a rich nutty flavor.
3. Add salt or soy sauce for flavoring
Well, at least this it is informative! :P
All right, all right, I can hear some of the more experienced chefs grumbling, you might be saying, "this isn't even a recipe!"As a bonus, I will give you a bonus recipe today! Yay! And this recipe goes very well with the brown rice... Introducing...
"Bean Curry and Rice"
Although are many ingredients to this, it is an easy recipe and you can adjust the amount and types of spices to suit your "hot tolerance". You might also want to add carrots, potatoes, cabbage, mushroom or any other vegetables.
1. Soak brown rice for 25 to 30 minutes in water.
2. Add water to rice when cooking at a ratio of 1:2(one cup of brown rice: two cups of water).
3. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
4. Stir fry the onion until golden brown
5. Mix in garlic, lentils, curry powder, cayenne, cumin, cook for 2min
6. Mix in kidney beans, raisins, garbanzo beans and tomatoes.
7. Add pepper and salt for flavor
8. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for at least an hour while stirring every few minutes.
I hope that in the midst of praying and fasting, you have a great time cooking and fellowshipping with your friends and family members!
Look out for the next recipe tomorrow...