Daniel Fast Recipes | Garam Masala Tofu Scramble
A splash of olive oilCouple pinches of salt1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala spice blend1 medium onion, halved and cut into thin slices1/2 medium bulb fennel, cut into very thin slices1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped12 ounces extra firm organic tofu, crumbled1/4 cup chopped cilantro1/3 cup pistachios, chopped
“Garam Masala Tofu Scramble” by Farah Christine
1. Cut the onion/fennel thinner than you would for a slaw - extra thin, but not quite whisper thin.
2. Add the olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat.
3. Stir in the garam masala, and then quickly add the onions and fennel.
4. Stir in onions and salt and cook until the onions soften, just a minute or two. (Now it's up to you in regards to how long you'd like to let the onions cook - it you are in a rush, just cook them for a few minutes until they soften. If you have a bit more time, let them start to caramelized and darken.)
5. Stir in the cranberries, cook them for thirty seconds and add the tofu.
6. Stir and stir to combine the tofu with the other ingredients.
7. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and pistachios.
8. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Tip: You can buy garam masala spice blends, or make your own from spices like cardamom, cloves, cumin, and cinnamon. On the tofu front, I actually like to use a firmer tofu which lends more structure in the end, softer water-packed work as well but lend a looser, and in some cases creamier texture.
Hope you like it!